Recently I wrote about being careful to properly classify your workers: independent contractor or employee. But what if you make a mistake, and that independent contractor is really an employee. How do you fix it? Here’s how. There’s two aspects to the fix. From the retirement plan standpoint, you can use one of the correction programs offered by the Internal Revenue Service as part of their Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System (EPCRS). From the payroll tax standpoint, Accounting Web provides valuable Tips For Reporting Misclassified Employees. Not fixing it can be extremely expensive.